Sports in Ushuaia
Ushuaia is a place enjoyable that allows the practice of many adventure sports
There are several ski center in Ushuaia, these center offer the possibility of practise Alpine-skiing (downhill) as well as cross-country skiing (in flat runs) along wonderful valleys and glaciers, the main ski centers in Tierra del Fuego are:
- "Cerro Castor" (Alpine skiing), the biggest Alpine ski center in the Province, offers skiing and snowboarding sport, its telephone es 02901-422244.
- "Wolfgang Wallner", Andean Club of Ushuaia, has a slope at an average inclination of 30º, There is a ski lift available.
- "Francisco Jerman" (Cross-Country Skiing), is ideal for practicing cross-country skiing above the terraces of the Martial Range.
- "Glaciar Martial" (Alpine ski), the "Ushuaia Skiing School" operates in this center.
- "Altos del Valle" or "Valley of the Huskies" (cross-country skiing), its main attractions are the sledding school and the Siberian and Alaskan Huskies kennels.
- "Tierra Mayor" (cross-country skiing), this center offers learning and training runs, artificially illuminated runs and snow cats excursions.
- "Las Cotorras" (cross-country skiing), You can practice cross-country skiing and biathlon.
- "Valle Hermoso" (cross-country skiing), one of its main attractions is the Canadian beaver in the wild.
- "Altos del Valle", it is the first dog-sledding training school for children and Siberian kennels.
- "Haruwen" (cross-country skiing), specially built to practice cross-country skiing as well as the necessary equipment and specialized instructors for the practice of that sport.
- "Solar del Bosque", Some of the activities available here are snowmobile tours, ski and snowshoe excursions, snow cats guided tours and photographic safaris.
You can sail around the Beagle Channel and admire the spectacular views of the mountains, cormorants, sea lions and penguins, several companies offers this service:
- Motonave Barracuda, it offers 3-hour trip around the channel, leaves twice daily.
Address: Muelle Turistico
- Motovelero Tres Marías, allows a maximum of 9 passenger.
- Motovelero Patagonia Adventure, allows a maximum of 18 passenger.
Ushuaia has a wide number of alternatives to practice hiking and trekking. Tierra del Fuego National Park, provide a varied choice of excursions surrounded by the impressive environment on well marked trails with different levels of difficulty. A hike up the chain of valleys beyond the Glacier Martial, will provide you a beautiful view formed by lakes, mountains and glaciers, there are so many opportunities that trekkers can choose their own hiking routes.
Adventurous people can visit the Tierra del Fuego National Park and the Beagle Channel through Kayaks, it is a wonderful way to admire the nature beauty of Ushuaia, Kayaks can be hired on the Nahuel Huapi lakeside jetties.
Ushuaia is known as a exceptional point for sport-fishermen from all over the world. It is necessary to have a fishing license, there are two types of licenses: the first one allows tourists to fish within the National Park areas and the second type is limited to the province, for more information, go to the Club de Caza y Pesca, located at Maipú y 9 de Julio, you could ask for more at email@example.com.
Ushuaia is a ideal place to practise mountain-biking, many tourists bring its own bicycles to feel the sensation of cycling here, there is also many bike rental stores.